Displaying my Data FMP

At this point I decided that I will be observing people, and then selecting the one piece of clothing or accessory that represents them the best. I decided to record this by sketching the outline of a figure, repeating it, and then using it as a template to draw on.

I then recorded the clothes I had seen/could see people wearing using inks, leaving me with several sheets of particularly clothed figures, all different. A tutor told me that my project idea was wrong, that everyone wears the same clothes and they tell us nothing about who we are and that my idea was stereotyping. However I disagree, I am not stereotyping because I am observing.

After displaying my sheets on the wall, all next to each other, it became clear to me that for my final outcome I wanted to create a pictogram using these images. All of these images were from either London Bridge, Camberwell or Bromley, so I decided to make a pictogram displaying the population of each of these places. However it became quite difficult trying to get a population for central Bromley and london bridge so I decided to do it by borough instead. So my bar chart would display the population of Bromley, Southwark and Lambeth.

Bromley: 295532 Lambeth: 222000 Southwark: 244866    30:22:24  ->  15:11:12

(Each person represents 20,000 people)

This was a mock design, and I think it works really well! However I want it to be more exact with figures, so in the next one it will display 14.75 of the people from Bromley. The next one will also have titles, an axis (maybe) and a key. As well as more information, there are 32 boroughs in London and ideally I would be able to display all 32 in my chart, however I don’t think I have enough time to collect all of these drawings and travel to all of these places. So I looked into perhaps just doing it for the 12 boroughs below the river. However at this point for the next draft I am going to collect it for 5 boroughs closest to me: Bromley, Southwark, Lambeth, Croydon and Lewisham. So my next step will be collecting data from these 2 boroughs.

What I really like about this image is that it is displaying information wordlessly. A tutor recommended I look at the designer Stefanie Posavec, who also displays information without words. It was not long before I was utterly mesmerized. Her work is something I can only dream of creating it is so beautiful. It is the piece below that I am particularly fascinated by. It is complex yet stunningly clear and perfectly presented. Nothing unnecessary is included making it feel minimalist because everything included is absolutely essential. It is very intricate, but not complicated. This is the kind of thing that I was hoping to view at the Design Museum, and I can only wish that I had come across this inspiring work sooner. It makes me want to ensure my work is just as beautifully presented.

www.itsbeenreal.co.ukDespite knowing that I wanted t create a pictogram, I wanted to do a few experiments with my figures physically. Sitting on the sheet, they are so very 2 dimensional, so I decided to change that!